An Alphabetical List of Anthologies and Collections about Tolkien
Compiled by Åke Bertenstam
At the moment this just a test file so that the main list, A Chrononological Bibliography of Books about Tolkien, has something to link to with a few examples of how a listing of collections with the titles of the contributions they contain might look like.
Uppsala, 13th July 2015.
J.R.R. Tolkien, Scholar and Storyteller: Essays in Memoriam. Edited by Mary Salu and Robert T. Farrell. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press, 1979. 325 pp. 23.5 × 16 cm.
This book contains 16 articles and essays and a bibliography, of which only those concerned with Tolkien's writings have been included below.
- [Lewis, C.S.]: "Professor J.R.R. Tolkien: Creator of Hobbits and Inventor of a New Mythology: [from] The Times, London, 3 September 1973", pp. 11-15.
- Tolkien, J.R.R.: "Valedictory address to the University of Oxford, 5 June 1959", pp. 16-32.
- d'Ardenne, S.R.T.O.: "The man and the scholar", pp. 33-37.
- Brewer, Derek S.: "The Lord of the Rings as Romance", pp. 249-264.
- Dowie, William John: "The Gospel of Middle-Earth according to J.R.R. Tolkien", pp. 265-285.
- Shippey, T.A.: "Creation from Philology in The Lord of the Rings", pp. 286-316.
- Carpenter, Humphrey: "Handlist of The Published Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien", pp. 317-322.
Lochhead, Marion: The Renaissance of Wonder in Children's Literature. Edinburgh: Canongate, 1977. xiv, 169 pp., ill. 22.5 × 14.5 cm.
ISBN 0-0903937-28-X (hbk): £4.00
The book contains three chapters on Tolkien:
- Chapter 12: "The Tree of Fairy-tale: J.R.R. Tolkien and Fairy stories", pp. 101-106.
- Chapter 13: "The Northern Nobility: Tolkien and Beowulf", pp. 107-111.
- Chapter 14: "Hobbits and Heroes", pp. 112-125 (on the role of the Hobbits in H and LR).